HUMILITY: Jesus’ Example of Humility
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions! 🙂
Link to April 5th Video Worship Service: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8WN0sTci4FGOVQiNULLjtQ/playlists
STEPS FOR EXPLORING THIS WEEKS LESSON – HUMILITY: WHEN CAN LEARN ABOUT HUMILITY BUT LOOKING TO JESUS’ EXAMPLE.
STEP 1) Read scripture together:
- Read:Jesus Comes into Jerusalem as King – Matthew 21:1-9 (NIV) – 1 As they approached Jerusalem and came to Bethphage on the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two disciples, 2 saying to them, “Go to the village ahead of you, and at once you will find a donkey tied there, with her colt by her. Untie them and bring them to me. 3 If anyone says anything to you, say that the Lord needs them, and he will send them right away.” 4 This took place to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet: 5 “Say to Daughter Zion, ‘See, your king comes to you, gentle and riding on a donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a donkey.’”[a] 6 The disciples went and did as Jesus had instructed them. 7 They brought the donkey and the colt and placed their cloaks on them for Jesus to sit on. 8 A very large crowd spread their cloaks on the road, while others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road. 9 The crowds that went ahead of him and those that followed shouted, “Hosanna[b] to the Son of David!”, “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!”[c], “Hosanna[d] in the highest heaven!”
- Discuss: Imagine you were one of the people in the crowd waiting for Jesus to arrive in the city of Jerusalem, and you are there when he comes riding in on a donkey. Everyone is shouting praises to him! How are you feeling in this moment? What sounds do you hear? What do you hear people around you saying? What’s the weather like? What do you smell?
Step 2) Watch the Children’s Sermon Video together:
- Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osjpXHtoPwU&list=PLWzu5Hp1aUXmi_a4DzYzrBCf-mM_D0MuN&index=4
- Discuss: C.S. Lewis wrote that “humility is not thinking less of yourself, it’s thinking of yourself less.” Jesus was the ultimate example of humility, forever thinking of others, doing what he could to serve and teach them, and by the end of this week he will save of like no one else ever could. What example from the Bible can you think of that show Jesus’ humility? When did he serve others or teach others? Can you think of someone in your life who is humble? Putting others before themselves.
STEP 3) Watch/Listen/Sing “Hosanna in the Highest” (which FPCL’s Youth Choir usually sings on Palm Sunday 😊)
- Lyrics: HOSANNA IN THE HIGHEST-lyrics
- Discuss: What does “Hosanna” mean? Hosanna come from the Hebrew word, “hoshi’a na,” which is translated in Greek as “(h)osanna.” In English, we know it as “hosanna.” On Palm Sunday, as the crowds who had been long-expecting Jesus were shouting “Hosanna” as Jesus rode into the city on a donkey, they were shouting this word as if to say “Praise God!” or as a way to show great affection for Jesus.
- Palm Sunday Coloring Page
- Kids might enjoy coloring this page while they are listening to “Hosanna in the Highest”!
STEP 4) Read through the attached “Parent Cue W1” Handout about Humility and consider creating a “Humility Jar” for your family for the month of April!
- This is a great way practice Humility and service especially during this time when everyone needs some extra love!
- Supplies: 1) a jar or some kind of container to be filled, 2) crafting supplies like paper, markers, and stickers to create the “Humility Jar” sign, 3) an item you’d like to use to fill the far. This could be rocks, some type of candy, cotton balls, whatever you have!
- Completing the Activity:
- Create the “Humility Jar” as a family and use this time to talk about different ways each of you can show humility throughout the month. Think of ways to put others first, ways to serve others, and time to think of others needs rather than our own.
- Throughout the month, as you witness different acts of humility from family members towards others, add some rocks/candy/cotton balls (whatever you’ve chosen) to your “Humility Jar” and see if you can fill the jar by the end of April! Maybe decide as a family a special treat you could all get to celebrate if you meet your goal!
STEP 5) FUN PALM SUNDAY ACTIVITIES AND IDEAS
- Create your own Palm Branches at home and place them on your door or in your window to outwardly celebrate Palm Sunday!
- How to make your own Palm Branch Video Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU7VQnkSkbA
- Use paper strips to make your own “Palm Frond Cross” at home!
- How to fold a palm frond (palm leave) into a cross tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znDyR8_POCU
- Instead of using a real palm branch for this activity (as is done in the video), you can cut long strips of paper to make your cross! The bigger the paper is, the easier it is to fold the cross.
- Make a Donkey Ear headband and remember the story of Palm Sunday!
- Follow the directions on the attached PDF to make your own Donkey Ears Headband!
- Donkey Ears Headband
STEP 6) Review the “What Does the Lord Require of You.Micah Verse” attachment with your child.
- Discuss: Think about the past couple days and notice times when you could have put others first, or you did put someone first. If you did put someone first, how did it feel when you put that person before yourself? If you noticed a time when you could have put someone before you but didn’t, what could you have done differently? Or what could you make sure you do next time to show humility?
- Pray: Dear God. Thank you for showing what it looks like to be humble. Help us to walk humbly with you this week as we choose to put others first. Amen.