HUMILITY: Putting Others First Because Jesus Put Us First
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions! 🙂
Link to April 19th Video Worship Service: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTeCHx-k7ks&list=PLWzu5Hp1aUXk7kD8gp9v6aC9fi4RyDJA4
STEPS FOR EXPLORING THIS WEEKS LESSON – HUMILITY: WHEN CAN LEARN ABOUT HUMILITY BUT LOOKING TO JESUS’ EXAMPLE.
STEP 1) Read scripture together:
- Read: The Servant Principle – Philippians 2:3-8(NIV) – 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. 5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature[a] God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; 7 rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature[b] of a servant, being made in human likeness. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death—even death on a cross!
- Discuss: Many people think of themselves first, before they think of others. But Jesus, the Son of God, showed us how we can lovingly serve others by putting them first. And this doesn’t mean you never think about yourself, and you don’t take care of yourself, it simply means that that you remember and think about others too, instead of just yourself. This is something we all have to practice – children, and grownups – it’s not easy. What does it mean to look at the interests of others? What does it mean to have the same mindset as Christ Jesus?
Step 2) Watch the Children’s Sermon Video together:
- Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UecY6Y-NyFc&list=PLWzu5Hp1aUXk7kD8gp9v6aC9fi4RyDJA4&index=5
- Discuss: Jesus came not to be served, but to serve. Think about that. The most wonderful, perfect, powerful, person ever didn’t expect other people to run around serving him, making him meals, washing his clothes, or doing things for him. Instead, he came he to help other people, to care for and heal others. If the Son of God can do that, what might you be able to do to serve others more?
- Play OPPOSITE Simon Says Game: When Jesus was born and was living on Earth, he changed things forever! He turned things Upside Down! He changed the rules about what it looked like to be a powerful King. Play this fun Opposite Simon Says Game to remember how Jesus turned things upside down and changed the rules forever!
- Supplies: Nothing 😊
- For the traditional game of Simon Says, 1 player is chosen to be “Simon”. This person calls out commands following the sentence structure, “Simon says… (action)…”. As “Simon” calls out an action, the players are to complete the action. If “Simon” says “…(action)…” without including the beginning “Simon says..” then player that still follow that command are out.
- For this OPPOSITE Simon Says Game, there is still 1 person to be chosen as Simon, and they still call out action commands for the other players to complete. But rather that doing what Simon says, player will do the opposite of what Simon Says!
- Example: “Simon saying jumping up and down on your left foot”. For this request players would jump up and down on their right foot. Another example, “Simon Says touch your toes”. For this request players would touch their head (opposite of their toes)
STEP 3) Watch/Listen/Sing “One, Two, Three!” (This is a great song to sing to keep the spirit of Easter alive! Miss Karen also sent out this song in an email late this past week)
- Lyrics to One, Two, Three!: ONE, TWO, THREE LYRICS
- Discuss: Think about this line in the song, “God loved the world, so he gave His Son, Jesus is our friend, He loved everyone.” When Jesus died on the cross and rose from the dead, it was for EVERYONE! We are all Jesus’ special friends.
- Stay Humble Coloring Page
- Kids might enjoy coloring this page while they are listening to this fun Easter song!
STEP 4) Read through the attached “Phillipians Verse” Handout and consider completing the activity! How can we be more like Jesus? Make this a big beautiful sign with lots of color and pray thanking God for sending Jesus and teaching us how to put other first!
- Pray: Dear God, thank you for sending Jesus to earth so that we could learn from his example about how to be loving and put others first. We love you. Amen.
STEP 5) Read through the attached “Parent Cue W3” Handout about Humility and consider diving deep into the idea of Humility with your children to explore the complex idea that “Humility is not the equivalent of being weak, ignored, indifferent, boring, or a pushover”. Rather, “Humility must include confidence, ambition, and willpower.”